Sunday, August 14, 2011

Time lapse

I know that I haven't posted in a grip, but it's been a stressful few months for me. I found out in April that my beloved store was closing and in July, I officially lost my job. It was so difficult for me, especially because I took a hiatus from school to work more. So in the short time since then, I realized that just finishing my degree would be best. Unfortunately, it's not as simple just re-enrolling. When I left, I took academic withdrawls from the semester due to some health issues. My college experience has been quite a long, stressful road for me.
I graduated from High School in 2005 and went on to continue my education at Pacific University. I originally planned on starting in the Dental Sciences program, but soon enough at the advice of my choral director and other music professors, I switched my major to Music with an emphasis in Vocal Performance. Since fall of 2005, every semester has been two steps forward, three steps back. So in the fall of 2010, after a few semesters of not graduating, I decided to take some time off to work full more and take a break from the stress of school. With only about 17 credits left to graduate and my junior and senior recitals all completed, most people might not understand. But I had to do what felt best for me, and with the support of my family and the staff at PU, I took some time from my studies.
The issue with trying to jump in on this upcoming semester is it's really short notice for the process of getting re-enrolled. Because I withdrew from school, I have to convince the Dean of Students and a panel of folks that I'm ready to return. Along with that, I have to figure out my financial aid. Because my mom works at Pacific, I have the benefit of free tuition, but there's a catch: I can't be older than 24 and I only have eight semesters and three Winter terms. I have already used up 7 semesters and one winter term. For the classes I need to complete, I'm going to need two semesters (because I need two semesters for one class.) Since my I lost my job and my family is now a one person income, it is imperative that I convince the HR department and Dean of Students to extend my tuition remission. If that's not stressful enough, classes start August 29th.
Needless to say, things have been super stressful, but I'm determined to make it work so wish me luck and confidence! Hopefully, I can just get through last leg of school.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Vallie,

    Nice blog. We love it.
    We’ve been taking note of your style and we've come to be wonderfully addicted to it.
    We'd like to invite you as our 1st group of fashionista to join WhatIWear in a conquest to inspire the world,changing one wardrobe at a time.

    Click HERE to become a member - www.whatiwear.com
    Or check our blog at blog.whatiwear.com

    --
    Here are some members who have already joined us.
    Anastasia Siantar - brownplatform.com
    Andree Judd - avantgardien.tumblr.com
    Willabell Ong - paledivision.blogspot.com
    Marie Hamm - themavenpost.blogpost.com
    Paris & London - themadtwins.blogspot.com
    Alyssa Lau - theordinarypeoples.blogspot.com
    Nadine Drexler - whengreengrasswasyellowonpictures.com
    White Lace - whitelace.ro
    Becka Häggblom - sunshineinnorth.blogspot.com
    Michalina Z - stook-pook.blogspot.com
    Jessica C - westmountfashionista.com
    Claradevi Handriatmadja - luce-dale.com

    ReplyDelete